Hi lovely friends!
How's your week been going so far? Did we all have nice weekends, it always seems to go by so fast doesn't it?
Well if you where like me and spent the weekend scrolling on Pinterest and admiring other spaces. Am I the only one that can spend countless hours mindlessly scrolling? Then I wonder why my place doesn't look like half of these. Then you start to regret or think your space isn't decorated properly? Good, I am glad I am not the only one but don't worry because I've got you covered with tips to make your style your own. With out gawking in admiration on Pinterest at others homes, you'll be gawking at your own. That's what we all want right?
I have 10 tips on how to make your own style distinct to you. Without feeling guilty about it either, to really love and be happy in your home. To want to show it off and be proud of it no matter where or what it looks like.
- Use what you love; as I always say use what makes your heart skip a beat, puts a smile on your face or reminds you of the greatest memory. You want to incorporate things that really make you happy to enjoy your space fully.
- If your heart flutters then buy it; sometimes rooms call for a splurge and it's ok! If it's functional and works for you then it's ok to splurge a little on a few spaces in your home. Especially if it's one of those feelings that makes your heart a flutter and you can't stop thinking about it. You know the one, then go for it!!
- Does it create conversation? If it's something that's unconventional or is unique and creates conversation then why not add it? That's what makes it special to you.
- Does it represent you or functions for your family? If it's something new or old and it functions well and is something that represents your style and value. Then you for sure want to add it to your space.
- Shut off Pinterest and google; stop scrolling and searching because it only hurts the process. Those spaces could represent someone's home but maybe it's not functional or purposeful. Maybe its been moved around for pictures and doesn't actually look like that on a regular basis. Whatever it is, shut it off and relish in your own space. This has worked for me and makes me appreciate the process that much more.
- Try not to copy; you can't really find your style or make it distinct if you "copy" other spaces, now can you. Plus it may work in they're space but not work so well in your own. What I mean by copy is not like copy and paste but copy exactly what is in the space without adding your own flare. You can pick and choose similarities for the look you want to achieve but don't forget to add your own personality to it.
- Try not to "impress"; remember the only person you want to impress is you. Trying too hard will make the space look & feel like it and you want it to feel inviting and welcoming. Plus comfortable enough for you to live in and your family to be happy in.
- Make sure you'll be happy in the space; this ones is pretty self explanatory. Be happy, love and enjoy it.
- Take a risk; play with patterns you like and colors you love. Don't be afraid to try new things, you may find more things you enjoy, then you think.
- If you got it, flaunt it; if your ever nervous to put something out or try something new. Get it out and flaunt it people can really tell when your proud or not so proud of your home. Be proud of what you have, own or enjoy.
Bonus: Add some fresh blooms. You can not go wrong with adding some fresh plant life or fresh flowers. It brings life, air and nature home with you and adds color to any room instantly. It always makes me instantly happy when i have fresh blooms.
That's it! If you try these tips you'll be on your way to making your own space yours and yours only. That's the most important part in loving the space your in am I right?
If you've been around here a while you'll know that's my goal & mantra and now I try to embrace it to you. There's so much out there and so much to get influenced by we forget about our own loves, treasures, style & personality.
If you try these I hope they bring you back to finding your own style and making it distinct to you, if it does then I achieved my goal!!
As always thanks for reading! Like this post? Please share it!